Intern Blondies (But Not From a Blond Intern)
One of my recent interns Angela surprised me on her last day with some amazing vegan treats. Even more amazing and sweet considering she had never made anything vegan before. And I have to say, I think she hit it out of the park, so I wanted to share the recipe she used for her peanut butter blondies (adapted from Fake Ginger adapted from Better Home & Gardens).
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (a little less)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 small applesauce cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of mixed vegan chocolate chips & toffee
- 1-2 crushed graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper or use spray oil.
- Mix the oil and brown sugar. Mix in peanut butter, applesauce, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet mixture, stirring until it is just combined. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chunks/toffee over top (photo above is a version without toffee).
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.