Vegan Disneyland

Wow, is it me or has food at Disneyland improved?  Even when I was “just” a vegetarian it was next to impossible to find anything to eat that wasn’t…well…gross.

So how shocked was I when I went to DLand on Monday – and had several decent meals. Thanks to my Twitter friends (follow Veggywood here!) I found meals that were actually beyond decent – good!

In addition, I also tracked down some vegan snackies.  Yum yum.

Tostata at Rancho del Zocalo Restaurant in Frontierland
Fahita veggies, lettuce, salsa, guac, rice & beans

Not the best Mexican food I’ve ever had but it was pretty good.  And FYI, I asked one of the servers there (who was Indian so probably knows the significance of vegetarianism) and she confirmed that the rice is not made with chicken stock, and the beans are not made with lard.

Vegetarian Gumbo in Sourdough Bread Bowl in New Orleans Square
* Thanks Brittany!

This was really good!  It’s from a little stand right near Pirates of the Caribbean.   It looks way better than it does in this picture.  Don’t miss it!

Vegan Snacks!

Kettle Corn
Available at most stands in the park and various stores.

Vanilla and Chocolate Cookies - available at a variety of stores including the Candy Palace on Main Street

Pin It

Comments
7 Responses to “Vegan Disneyland”
  1. Jessica says:

I was gonna suggest the veggie gumbo but I wasn’t sure if it was vegan. It’s one of my favorite things to eat there :) I’m glad you found it!

2. Kat says:

Awesome, I didn’t know that the cookies were vegan! The gumbo is AMAZING!

Also worth noting that the veggie burger at one of the restaurants in Frontier Land is vegan (we checked the ingredient list ourselves). I just went there in March, so I hope they haven’t changed it!

3. Lindsey says:

FYI on Disneyland: a few places have veggie burgers or vegetable sandwiches, but they butter the buns and refuse to leave the butter off. (At least that’s been my experience…despite my explaining that I have a severe dairy allergy.)

The vegetarian chili now served at Harbour Galley (next to the Haunted Mansion; former site of a McDonald’s fry stand) is vegan. It was previously only available at DCA. (Toppings offered include cheese and bacon bits. I’m not sure if they’re veggie bacon bits or not.)

The Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland does have an all-veggie kabob, but unfortunately they cook it on the same grill as the meat kabobs.

The last time I checked, all of Disneyland’s salad dressings still contained dairy. This was a few years ago, though, so it can’t hurt to check if you’re craving roughage.

Glad you had a good time!

4. Jenna says:

The last time I went to Disneyland, I was told that the vegetarian gumbo has cream in it, making it not vegan. I was also told there is dairy in the guacamole, and butter in the mexican rice.

5. Pam says:

I read on another blog that vegan food was availabe at the Lucky Fortune Cookery in California Adventure, so I went there to eat today and was told that the rice has butter in it. Someone on that same blog said that they were told that the pommes frittes at Disneyland had cheese in the seasoning so they were impossible to order without cheese. If they tell you they can make them without cheese, it might also be a good idea to make sure that they are not cooking them in the same oil as meat, and to also ask if they are real potatoes or potatoes that come in a box with other ingredients which might include beef fat. I have been offered the rice noodles as vegan several times, but they have vitamins in them which might come from animal sources. It would also be a good idea to check on any pasta, bread, tortilla or taco there to find out if they have vitamins in them because they most likely come from animal sources. I don’t eat apples, tomatoes or bell peppers unless they are organic because they otherwise have shellac(animal product) or bees wax on them, and there is no way to know if they ones at Disneyland do or do not contain those products. Regular sugar is filtered through charred cow bones which makes it technically not vegan so I would double check the ingredients in those cookies. Thankfully, organic sugar is not processed in the same way. If the burgers at Village Haus are vegan, check to see if they are cooked in the same place as the meat.

6. Gina says:

Tried the vegan burger at Carnation Cafe. It wasn’t bad. I would definitely repurchase. It tasted kind of like a potato patty. I loved that it has the name VEGAN so we don’t have to ask or wonder if it’s vegetarian or vegan. The price was 11.99 and it came with seasoned fries. Let’s hope we get Tofutti ice cream like they have at Walt Disney World next.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...