FINALLY. Starbucks Ingredients List.

Note:  Updates from Starbucks on 5/12 written in red!

Well, it only took NINE emails, but I finally got a response on what add-ons are indeed vegan.  Just in time for Starbuck’s “Happy Hour” with 1/2 priced frappaccinos.

So here you go, this is what they sent me.  The regular “bases” for the frapps are already confirmed dairy-free (except for the light and caramel drizzle):

Mocha Powder: Sugar, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Chocolate Liquor, Potassium Sorbate, Vanillin.  Water is added to make the syrup.
Used to make the mocha frapp

Matcha Powder:  Sugar, Green tea.
Used to make the green tea frapp

Java Chips:  CONFECTIONERY COATING (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OILS, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER, E322], VANILLA, MILK), COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, 9%), COOKIE CRUMBS (UNBLEACHED UNENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR , SUGAR, PALM AND PALM KERNEL OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CHOCOLATE MASS, SALT SODIUM BICARBONATE [E500ii], SOY LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER, E322], NATURAL FLAVOR), CHOCOLATE MASS (2%), AND SALT.
* CONTAINS MILK (update from Starbucks 5/12)
Used in the Java Chip Frapp

Vanilla Powder: Vanilla Bean Extract, Dextrose.
Used in the vanilla frapp

Coffee Frappuccino Syrup: Sugar, Water, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum (E415), Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202), Citric Acid (E330), Caramel Color (E150)
Used in the coffee frapp

Crème Frappuccino Flavored Syrup: Water, Sugar, Salt, Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum (E415), Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202), Citric Acid (E330).
Used in the creme flavor syrup frapps

Strawberry Syrup: STRAWBERRY PUREE, WATER, WHITE GRAPE JUICE CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, AND LYCOPENE COLOR (CONTAINS SOY).
Used in the Strawberry & Creme frapps
(update from Starbucks 5/12)

Light Coffee Frappuccino Syrup (US version): Water, sugar, Erythritol (E968), Natural Flavors, Salt, Carageenan (E407), Xanthan Gum (E415), Maltodextrin, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202), Citric Acid (E330), Reb A, Color: Caramel (E150d, E150b)
Contains Milk & Gluten!

Light Coffee Frappuccino Syrup (Canada version): Water, Sugar, Natural Flavours, Salt, Carrageenan (E407), Xanthan Gun (E415), Maltodextrin, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate (E202), Citric Acid (E330), Sucralose (E955), Colour: Caramel (E150d, E150b).
Contains Milk & Gluten!

Pin It

Comments
91 Responses to “FINALLY. Starbucks Ingredients List.”
  1. What about THIS coffee?

[For the record, I do not drink coffee or cola, and might have 3 or 4 tea drinks a year (usually with a meal in a Chinese restaurant).]

2. Veggywood says:

Ew.

3. thank you so much for tracking all this info down!!

4. Tanya says:

Great! I was just looking for the ingredients. Do you know what kind of sugar they use?? And if it’s vegan? I thought I heard somewhere they started using a better kind of sugar…….maybe it’s just a rumor.

5. Veggywood says:

you know, i’m not sure. i would hope organic….

6. appifanie says:

Thanks!

7. christy says:

Does anyone know if there is any sugar in these powders. I wanted one sugar free and they said the syrup is sugar free but the vanila powder they put in is not. Does anyone know how much is put in a drink and how many grams of sugar?

8. Veggywood says:

Hiya. Yes there is sugar, as far as I know they do not make a sugar-free version as of now. And the lite version has milk in it. You can look up the nutritional info in grams of sugar here: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?drink=all (just click on the specific product for the nutritional label).

9. Alison says:

I found out yesterday that they also put an emulsifier in the green tea frapp. I don’t know if they put it in others. There was a recent to-do about whether or not the emulsifiers were animal or vegetable based, and apparently they are indeed veggie. Still, why add more junk to your drink? Ask for it unsweetened and without the emulsifier. :)

10. Veggywood says:

eh, i like my sugar ;)
    but thanks for checking that out!!

11. Jay says:

So if I went in and had a caramel frap with no whip topping or caramel drizzle with soy milk would it be vegan? I’ve never been to a starbucks before and really want to try one of these!

12. Veggywood says:

Correct! But make sure you get the regular NOT the light… the light mix has milk in it. And make sure you tell them to make it in the “special blender” — it’s a blender only used for soy, so there’s no gross milk leftovers in it! But be careful… they’re addicting!!

13. Jay says:

Thanks so much Veggywood!

14. susan says:

Thank you so much for posting this! And thank you, too, for posting all the things you do about vegetarianism & animals!

15. Grateful in Ohio says:

Thank you for posting the Starbucks ingredients and thank you Starbucks for the transparency! I can drink the soy frap! YUM YUM YUM!!!

16. Veggywood says:

you’re welcome! the green tea one is my fav…

17. concerned says:

a email told me all about MSG, a list of foods containing it included Starbucks coffee! true?

18. Veggywood says:

hmm. i’m not sure why MSG would be used in coffee… i’ve never run across it in any of the ingredient lists I’ve seen. Regular coffee grounds, beans or like frappachinos?

19. Emily says:

Hey! I am vegan and actually work for Starbucks here in the US. Here are ingredients that are NOT vegan…

light frappuccino base
    java chips
    white mocha sauce
    caramel sauce (the drizzle that they put on top of fraps and caramel macchiatos)
    pumpkin spice sauce (seasonal)
    creme brulee sauce (seasonal)
    protein powder (in smoothies — you can request smoothies without this, though)
    cinnamon dolce sprinkles

This is all I can think of at the moment but there might be one or two more that I am missing.

My favorite frap is soy vanilla bean with added coconut and a banana. YUM!!

20. Veggywood says:

yea those are the ones they’ve told me about too….

21. chris says:

is there not one standard syrup used for all frappaccinos and then another depending on which flavour you order?

22. Veggywood says:

i believe that yes, that is the syrup that now has no dairy products in it.

23. Dana says:

THANK YOU!!!!! I have tried to get this information so many times!!! I resorted to asking to see packages of everything in my favorite drink-and my modified favorite when I found out the white mocha syrup contains dairy! I wanted to try new things but hate to ask for ingredients everytime I go in!!! I appreciate your hard work and diligence in obtaining the information!!

24. Veggywood says:

Thanks Dana! Glad it helped. I need to get an update from them to include some of the new drinks.

25. Paulettte says:

I was wondering if M.S.G. as in the coffee beans? Does anyone know?

26. Debra says:

Thanks for the info. The thing I don’t understand is : why does Starbucks make a big to do about no artificial colours/favors in the food, yet these items are in the drinks…

27. michelle says:

What about the new salted mocha frap?

28. Veggywood says:

I actually emailed them about that one!

29. Jas says:

I feel so slighted! I’ve been to at least five different Starbucks across Vancouver and the surrounding suburbs – all of them claimed their light Frapp base was dairy-free! I’m also slightly confused because I am gluten-intolerant (to even very small amounts) but drinking light Frapps never set off my symptoms… This is so strange!

30. Veggywood says:

Actually I have been hearing that the light base is now dairy-free as well! I still need confirmation from Starbucks though.

31. Jen says:

Just found your site! Thanks for tracking this info down. Is the mocha powder used in the hot mocha as well? I figured it would be, but when I ordered with soy the other day and doublechecked about the mocha syrup/powder the baristas all said they weren’t sure. Hmm… Any thoughts? Thanks again!

32. Veggywood says:

hi – yes as far as i know the mocha used in the hot drinks is the same (it’s a syrup).

33. Ang says:

It’s a shame that the pumpkin syrup has dairy in it. Every fall I ask for the ingredients, hoping it would have changed. Still no luck.

34. Veggywood says:

yea that is a bummer. i wonder why they can’t source one without it….

35. Corinna says:

Thank you for all the info! Just to clarify, a (regular) mocha frappuchino ordered with soy milk IS dairy-free? Great!! I’ve been getting mixed answers from the workers when I go to various locations, so again, thank you for putting this together..

36. Veggywood says:

yea, thats right! :)

37. Day-Z says:

I’m not a vegan, but I am very sensitive to chemicals and sugar. I’m also gluten intolerant. These lists were awesome! To find out that Starbucks uses a natural sweetener in their “lite” drinks, and that the strawberry fraps my kids like have no sugar makes my day!

38. Day-Z says:

PS Tomorrow through Saturday is BOGO on holiday drinks at Starbucks. So get a friend and go try that new drink!

39. Day-Z says:

Oops, I meant Sunday. And it’s from 2-5pm. Enjoy!

40. Lynne Moore says:

Is there carageenan in their organic Vanilla Soy Milk? Thanks!!

41. Lynne Moore says:

Is there carigeenen in their Organic Vanilla Soy Milk?

42. Veggywood says:

I really don’t know. I would contact them directly.

43. barista says:

also, the strawberries and cream frappucino at the starbucks location I work at is NOT vegan. cochineal is one the ingredients on the new strawberry sauce we got, not sure if it’s a local or nationwide change, best to check with the barista at your starbucks.

44. Veggywood says:

thanks for the update!

45. Valerie says:

As far as the light frappuccino base being sugar free, a lot of my fellow baristas are not reading their info. It does contain sugar but less than the regular. Sugar is a necessary component to get the proper consistency. If I am asked if our soy is vegan, I tell them it is not labeled as being vegan since it also contains sugar (it’s vanilla soy) and let them make the decision. I have spoken to many customers about our white mocha, caramel brûlée and pumpkin spice syrups containing dairy because for some it is also a critical health issue. As a whole, we need to be informed so we can keep our customers safe.

46. Veggywood says:

That really admirable that you make the effort to make all the ingredients clear. I wish more people did that! :)

47. new2this says:

I am celiac and need to know it the caramel they use in their mochiato’s is gluten free. I called to ask and they said they` cant verify it. does anyone know the answer?

48. new2this says:

I am celiac and need to know if the caramel they use in their mochiato’s is gluten free. I called to ask and they said they` cant verify it. does anyone know the answer?

49. Abby Bean says:

So now they’re publicizing that their strawberry frapp is colored with lycopene, but two years ago they didn’t fess up to the cochineal bugs. What is wrong with them?

50. Abby Bean says:

Wait, are these updates from May 2012, or May 12, 2010?

51. Julie says:

are the cookie crumbles in the mocha cookie crumble frapp vegan?!

52. Veggywood says:

originally 2010, the updates in red are more recent.

53. Veggywood says:

i do not think so.

54. Veggywood says:

I reached out to Starbucks recently for a more updated list and will hopefully receive it soon to post…

55. starbucks fan says:

There were rumours going around saying that starbucks uses cochineal red coloring for the strawberry frapp and emulsifier from animal source for their coffee. How true is this?

56. Veggywood says:

They stopped using the cochineal a few months ago (link to article is in the post). I am not sure about the other thing.

57. April says:

You know that because this stuff has sugar in it, none of it is vegan. Sugar, unless stated as actually being vegan, is processed with animal bone char.

58. Veggywood says:

That is assuming they are using sugar with bone char, not all of it uses bone char to be processed. Also, it depends on how strict you want to define “vegan.” If you only eat products that are 100% verified vegan than I would not drink Starbucks. However, as I have said many times before, I prefer to support companies that at least attempt to remove the main “non-vegan” additives to their products, namely milk, eggs and meat/fish (obviously). How you strictly define “vegan” is up to you.

59. Lee says:

I have been concerned, among other things, about the “emulsifier” in Starbucks frappucino. I know the sugar is bad for me but unclear about the emulsifier. Do you know what soy lecithin actually is? I’ve been told it is used to make the drink thicker. Thank you so much.

60. Is Starbucks mocha cookie crumble frapp vegan? I would like to know because my birthday is coming up next week.

61. Apollonia says:

Thanks for all the information. I am a big Starbucks fan especially the Hazelnut soya latte but I don’t want to have the Hazelnut syrup if the sugar in it contains bone char? Thanks

62. Veggywood says:

you know, i’m not sure! i have been trying to get an answer out of their customer service for a long time about that one…

63. Veggywood says:

There is really no way to verify.

64. Azoraa says:

Does Starbucks sell the Civet coffee? I would love to try that!

65. Premlatha says:

Ok. I just got this info from a friend of mine and was shocked about the strawberry frappuchino. Please find the details in the link below.

66. Veggywood says:

yes, but if you check my notes, you’ll see that Starbucks stopped using that specific ingredient a few months ago…

67. Kalli says:

Okay, so if the light base contains milk, why doesn’t it list that? Is it just in the caramel color?

68. Cheryl says:

Thank you! I am allergic to soy so this was helpful to me as I figure out what iced and blended drinks I can have.

69. Adam says:

Thanks so much for this list.. I knew about most of them, but I was curious what exactly was in the Frappuccino bases..

And for anyone who asked about the cookie crumbs, they’re vegan.. one of the employees let me read the ingredients on the label.. so you can happily order a soy mocha cookie crumble Frappuccino, no whip :)

70. Sarah says:

I’m confused about the Java Chip. I am gluten and lactose intolerant, and under the Java Chip it says something about cookie crumbs, and that the chocolate chips contain milk. When I go to the Starbucks website cookie crumbs are not listed. Will someone please help make this a little more clear?

71. VegCat says:

More thanks for you! I’ve looked for frappucino ingredients for months. My fav is a soy green tea, no whip.Vanilla with coconut sounds Awesome (thanks commenter!), but I’m guessing that costs extra. I might try that while the half price deal is on :-)

72. We stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at your
    web page for a second time.

73. hier klicken says:

Da könnte man glatt meinen, dass dieser Artikel mit dem Titel “FINALLY. Starbucks Ingredients List.”
    aus meinen Tastaturhänden stammen könnte so gelungen wie der hier steht.
    Alle Daumen nach oben und weiterhin viel Erfolg weiter so in Zukunft!

74. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

My weblog :: EBook Tinnitus Miracle

75. hey there and thank you for your info – I have certainly
    picked up something new from right here. I did
    however expertise some technical issues using
    this website, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
    I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining,
    but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and
    marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

76. E Gray says:

‘Natural and Artificial Flavor’ are usually other names for MSG, a powerful neurotoxin.
    This flavor enhancer is linked to ALS and Dementia in men and women in there latter years.
    Other disguised names for MSG are: Hydrolyzed vegetable protein, and ‘spices’ in BBQ causes.

77. Ellie says:

Do you know if banana anything is in some of the syrups ? I’m allergic tp bananas and request a strawberry smoothie with no banana…………..when I got home my tongue was burning and itching, just like it does if I eat bananas..

78. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article.
    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Here is my web blog klicken Sie Einfach auf die bis kommenden Artikel

79. Yaya says:

Hello,

I’m so shocked at this that it took me a while to think of what to say. All you vegan people are worried about animal products, but Starbucks is filling you up with toxic, DNA mutating preservatives in the syrup, called Potassium Sorbate. If you are concerned about health, please stop having any Starbucks products whatsoever and find more healthy sources that can make yummy vegan coffee drinks.

All of the flavoured syrups are poison in a bottle, and all the chemical substitutes for milk and sugar are also not healthy.

Take care all.

80. There are State Networks consistently of paid daily and weekly newspapers and State Networks that are primarily of free newspapers and shoppers.
    The multiple weekend event features live music concerts from indie, up-and-coming and established artists.
    When you first create an account with any free
    classifieds portal, you will have to provide some
    basic information like your name, email id etc.

81. toriaa_ says:

idc whats in starbucks drinks. i will still drink it as long as its delicious!! mwa. see ya :* I’m famous btw

82. I do not even know the way I stopped up right here,
    but I assumed this submit was great. I do not recognize who you might
    be however certainly you are going to a well-known blogger if you
    happen to aren’t already. Cheers!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] Check out my other Starbucks ingredient list HERE [...]

2. [...] Java Chips: CONFECTIONERY COATING (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OILS, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER, E322], VANILLA, MILK), COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, 9%), COOKIE CRUMBS (UNBLEACHED UNENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR , SUGAR, PALM AND PALM KERNEL OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, CHOCOLATE MASS, SALT SODIUM BICARBONATE [E500ii], SOY LECITHIN [EMULSIFIER, E322], NATURAL FLAVOR), CHOCOLATE MASS (2%), AND SALT. Source: http://www.veggywood.com/2010/05/07/finally-starbucks-ingredients-list/ [...]

3. [...] did look it up, but, I’m still not sure what makes it light.  According to Veggywood.com  the light Frappuccino base from Starbucks contains, “Light Coffee Frappuccino Syrup (US [...]

4. sobieto.myht.org